This amazing soup hails from the beautiful country of Ukraine. The star of this Ukrainian borscht with beef is the sweet and tasty ruby-red beet. Cabbage, carrots, beef and potatoes give it a hearty flavor while dill is the signature herb balancing out this sweet and tangy, yet savory soup.
The uniqueness of this dish is that it becomes tastier the next day when the flavors are blended together overnight! I recommend serving this soup with some cheesy potato pierogies. It’s the perfect menu. You will love it especially on a cold rainy day. Most importantly, don’t forget the sour cream for an authentic Ukrainian borscht experience!
More Recipes You Will Love
- Authentic Uzbek Plov with Beef
- Greek Grilled Chicken Drumsticks
- Instant Pot Roast with Braised Beef and Potatoes
Best Ukrainian Borscht with Beef
- 1 lb beef steak tips or another tender cut is best
- 1 small onion
- 2 carrots
- 2 small yellow potatoes
- 2 small raw beets
- 1 small cabbage
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 bay leaf
- sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon
- Dice a small onion into very tiny pieces. Quarter each carrot into 4 long sticks, and chop into small pieces. Peel and shred the beets with a cheese grater or mandolin slicer. Slice the cabbage head into fine shreds (like sauerkraut texture). Dice the potato into quarter-inch chunks.
- Cut beef into bite sized pieces, throwing out any tough or fatty tissue. Sear on medium heat in a soup pot with 2 tablespoons of oil, until slightly golden.
- Add diced onion to the beef and continue searing until beef is browned. Add more oil if needed to keep the meat from sticking to the pot.
- Pour 14 cups of boiling water into the pot with the meat and onions. Add 1 bay leaf, 1 tbsp sea salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/4 tsp cumin, 1 tbsp paprika, 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tbsp tomato paste, 2 tbsp of finely chopped dill, and 3 crushed garlic cloves. Bring to a boil and simmer on medium low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add shredded beets, carrots, potatoes and six cups of shredded cabbage to the soup, bring to a boil and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes. Add a little more salt to taste, if needed. Squeeze some lemon into the soup for authentic tangy borscht flavor. You'll want the juice from at least half a lemon, if not more.
- Garnish each bowl of soup with a pinch of dill and a spoonful of sour cream. Serve with your favorite warm toasty bread!